The Office of the Bishop has initiated a series of memos to district, temple, and affiliated organization leaders to provide guidance in making decisions about temple activities and procedures during the COVID-19 virus outbreak.
Memos from Hongwanji Hawaii HQ
Memos from headquarters are listed in reverse-chronological order (most recent first).
- 08/08/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 9
Guidance from the HHMH Bishop and President given the resurgence in COVID-19 cases.
- 06/02/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 8
More guidance as we enter the month of June, when the four counties have made allowances for “Places of Worship” to reopen, subject to restrictions and requirements for safety.
- 05/24/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 7
More detailed guidance on reopening from the HHMH bishop and president, especially for Kauai and Oahu, including a checklist for reopening.
- 05/21/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 6
As Hawaii enters the “Act with Care” phase, Bishop Matsumoto and Dr. Warren Tamamoto provide guidance on what this means for our temple operations, including a cautious phased approach, best practices, and measures to prepare.
- 04/24/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 5
Extends directive on no in-person services & activities indefinitely, with decisions on reopening to be made on a district-by-district basis in consultation with HQ. Updates guidelines on permitted services.
- 03/24/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 4
Updates to directives and recommendations in light of stay-at-home and emergency orders for Oahu, Maui, and the state of Hawaii. Covers bedside and funeral services and minimum basic operations.
- 03/17/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 3
New directives and recommendations from headquarters (a condensed, website version of what was sent to Hongwanji leaders and staff). See also a message from Bishop Matsumoto to accompany Memo 3.
- 03/16/2020: April 5 HBC Buddha Day Service CANCELED. As a precautionary measure related to the COVID-19 virus, the Hawaii Buddhist Council has canceled the HBC Buddha Day Service on Sunday, April 5. Neither an in-person nor an online HBC Buddha Day Service will be offered. (Note that the Hongwanji State Ministers Association intends to present a simple online service at 10 a.m. on April 5.) This item was updated to reflect the cancellation of the online service as well.
- 03/11/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 2
Suggestions for temples to consider for possible implementation and action.
- 03/03/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 1
Introductory memo with best practices for limiting transmission of respiratory illnesses, links to agency resources, being prepared.
Excerpt on guidelines for individuals:
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Washing hands before eating and after using the bathroom
- Using a cloth face covering when in public, except very young children and people with breathing difficulty (updated 5/13/20)
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
- Staying home when sick and calling the doctor or healthcare provider if experiencing a fever above 100° (updated 5/13/20)
- Getting an updated flu vaccine
Listed here as a service; no endorsement is implied. Please assess these resources currency and applicability to your particular situation.
- 211 hotline by Aloha United Way, a “comprehensive, statewide community information and referral service;” personalized COVID-19 info and help connecting to services
- Oahu: OneOahu.org, “links to trusted sites that are continually updated”
- Hawaii State Department of Health COVID-19 information
- Centers for Disease Control COVID-19 information:
- Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance Requirements Reinstated (06/10/20 Hawaii State Dept. of Health press release)
- Oahu: Food Assistance: May 6 Aloha Stadium, May 8 Leeward Community College (05/05/20 Mayor Caldwell Press Release)
- Extensive list of food resources on Hawaii’s Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) website, organized by county (food banks, food delivery services, farm link programs)
- USDA Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (direct relief to farmers and ranchers, link added 5/15/20)
- Oahu: City & County of Honolulu announces Small Business Relief and Recovery Fund (5/12/20 press release on honolulu.gov)
- Private Non-Profit Organizations in the State of Hawai’i are Invited to Apply for FEMA Public Assistance (4/23/20 state press release)
- Department of Emergency Management urges residents to prepare for hurricane season and consider the challenges COVID-19 brings (5/27/20 City & County of Honolulu press release)
- UH & DOH Partner on Contact Tracing Training Program (5/13/20 Hawaii COVID-19 Joint Information Center news release)
- Communicating with Keiki in the Age of COVID-19 (Pacific Health Ministry chaplaincy team members)