The Office of the Bishop has initiated a series of memos to district, temple, and affiliated organization leaders to help provide guidance in making decisions about temple activities and procedures during the COVID-19 virus outbreak.
This page provides centralized access to the memos not only for temple leaders, but for all Hongwanji members and friends who wish to see what HQ is communicating regarding COVID-19. Memos are listed in reverse-chronological order (most recent first).
- 03/11/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 2
Suggestions for temples to consider for possible implementation and action.
- 03/03/2020: HHMH COVID-19 Memo 1
Introductory memo with best practices for limiting transmission of respiratory illnesses, links to agency resources, being prepared.
Excerpt on guidelines for individuals:
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Washing hands before eating and after using the bathroom
- Covering coughs or sneezes (with sleeve rather than hands)
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
- Staying home when sick and seeing a doctor if experiencing a fever above 100°
- Getting an updated flu vaccine